Thursday, June 6, 2013

And So It Begins...

How We Met


It was the Saturday before our Junior Years of College. My good friend Tony wanted me to go ice skating in August so I could meet this girl he had been dating over the summer, named Cherish. Because it was still hot outside I didn't want to change out of my jean shorts into pants, but I knew I have to wear long socks when I go ice skating otherwise I get blisters. So I decided I didn't care what I looked like and donned a pair of striped knee-high socks with my jean shorts and went ice skating.

Turns out I should have cared how I look because the most handsome man I've ever seen grew up with Cherish and also came ice skating that day...Brian.

He walked in and headed straight over to our group, and I knew I had to play it super cool to make up for the fact that I looked ridiculous. We got to talking while everyone was skating around the rink and as fate would have it he really liked my socks, or at least the fact that I was confident enough to wear them in public.

The "L" Word


Two weeks into dating I knew he was the best guy I'd ever met. We were like puzzle pieces; we just fit. And the more I got to know him the more I fell in love. But of course I couldn't be the first one to say the "L" word. 

There would be times when he'd do something so wonderful and I'd start to say I love you, but I'd catch myself and turn it into:

"I lllllike you lots"


On a Sunday morning I woke up with a note and a red rose taped to my apartment door. It was a really sweet note Brian had left for me saying how much he enjoyed being with me, and all the things he liked about me, and saying that he had something he wanted to say that night.

When he came over to my apartment I was on pins and needles the whole night because I knew what was coming. Of course he waited until we were at his car saying goodbye, and it took me almost going back to my apartment three times before he worked up the courage to say it. But I knew when he said those three little words, that he had thought long and hard about it and that he meant them.

"I Love You"

Of course I said it immediately back to him, probably not even waiting for him to completely finish his sentence. I'm pretty sure I floated back to my apartment that night.


The Proposal


It was new years eve and his parents flew me out for the day to meet the family who were all gathered in Malibu. Brian, his mom, sister and cousins Gregory and Annie all came and picked me up at the airport, and headed over to his grandparent's house. Brian surprised me and told me that before I was bombarded with all the family, he wanted to go on a walk with me down the beach first.I didn't think anything of it at the time, we hadn't seen each other in two weeks due to Christmas vacation, so I was excited for some alone time.

We walked along the beach for about 30 minutes and I was just so happy to be next to him again. Then he turned to me and said really sweet things about how he wanted to spend the rest of forever with me, then he got down on one knee pulled out the ring box and asked me to marry him!

Unbeknownst to me, Brian had asked his Uncle Marc (who I hadn't met at that point) to follow us along the beach and take pictures. When I did meet him later that day he made fun of me for not even waiting to let Brian take a breath before I said yes. I guess I was just really excited to be with him forever, and to see my ring for the first time.


 The Big Day





 Brian and I were sealed for time and all eternity in the Sacramento, California LDS Temple on May 7th, 2011.






That day was such a wonderful blur. One distinct part that I can remember is the moment when we were pronounced husband and wife. I looked across the altar at him and saw him looking right back at me, and I knew that I had just made the best decision of my life.

Now a little more than two years after our wedding day, I am still madly in love with my husband. I love how much fun we have together and how many adventures we have. And I know that as time goes on we'll just keep having more and more wonderful adventures as we walk side by side for time and all eternity.


2 comments:

  1. Okay you totally made me cry! You can't do that to this hormonal pregnant girl. Love your story. Excited for the rest of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! Great way to preserve & share the memories!
    Lots of Love,
    Momma Marler :)

    ReplyDelete